Welcome to Tom's Pages - Here you might find photos and thoughts from weekend explorations
of California and Central Coast backroads - with a few furry felines added in just for the fluff.


You may see more photos at Tom Lott Photography www.catalott.com


Friday, April 9, 2010

In Which Nearly Everything Goes Wrong

I tried to explore the back roads of Fort Hunter Liggett to check out the old trails across the Santa Lucia's used by the early settlers and miners from the Los Burros mining district. Even with all the proper papers, travel on the base roads is not allowed for the public. Oh well - I had called ahead and was mistakenly told it would be ok. Instead, I went to the Mission, then across the reserve to National Forest access via Milpitas Rd. But Milpitas Rd north was also closed, and I had to backtrack. The fort had some wonderful hillside flower displays, but stopping on the road is not allowed, and taking pictures on the base is not permitted as wildflower photos might divulge national security secrets to global terrorists. So I drove about 200 miles, could not get where I wanted to, and have no pictures. It was not a good day.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so it was not that bad being outside in the warm sunshine among brilliant wildflowers. Just wish I had some pictures to share. **Tom**

    ReplyDelete