Welcome to Tom's Pages - Here you might find photos and thoughts from weekend explorations
of California and Central Coast backroads - with a few furry felines added in just for the fluff.


You may see more photos at Tom Lott Photography www.catalott.com


Friday, May 7, 2010

Parkfield Bluegrass Festival

Take the back roads to Parkfield,
Near the US GS Station,
You can be there by the fountain,
'Cause it's a bluegrass destination.
So don't be slow,
Tune that banjo,
Or I won't go,
Oh, no, no, no!
And I'm not sure if the banjo tuning helps.
(sung to the Monkees 1966 hit "Last Train to Clarksville")


It was a perfect Friday in Parkfield, and the bluegrass music was much hotter than the outside temperature - a mild temp close to 80 F. Overnight freeze, midday sunstroke, those are just normal conditions for this local festival.

My favorites included The Rarely Herd (don't confuse their feet with the Seldom Seen, or the Infrequently Smelled), The Brombies and Snap Jackson. Others also played great sets. The full program from the Bluegrass Festival is at http://www.parkfieldbluegrassfestival.com
Best message - support local live music!


Bell Monroe and the Brewglass Boys


Bean Creek

I did not camp overnight; rather just drove up for the day - it's not that far from my home. And I could revisit a few backroads on my list - Vineyard Canyon Rd, and the Chalome Parkfield Rd. I drove the little Saturn - it gets better gas milage than the Jeep - but the minimal road maintenance on the "sort of paved" SLO county back roads made me wish I lived in Monterey County - where the back roads were much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment